Call for Proposals/Scores – VBC Choral Composition Competition
The VBC is pleased to announce the launch of our fourth annual Choral Composition Competition. The competition was established by a generous private donor to encourage the creation of new choral music by Canadian composers and to honour the organization’s history of engaging local and national composers.
The competition is open to composers who are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If a citizen, you are not required to be currently residing in Canada. There is no age restriction and no application fee to apply. We encourage composers from all levels of experience and cultural backgrounds to apply.
The VBC invites composers to contribute a new or existing work for large choir of approximately 3-5 minutes in length. In order to apply:
- Please complete the application intake form at https://forms.gle/TDK9aV9yKcekPeW18
- Application form must include a brief written proposal for the work to be created.
- Submit a PDF of work sample (preferably of a choral work) or link to access a downloadable PDF of work sample. If composer is submitting a work to be considered for the performance, the work sample should be of this piece.
- Link to an audio file or stream of this work sample (can be from a live performance or a MIDI track)
- A one page CV
The final composition will need to be:
- Target length of 3-5 minutes.
- May include piano as accompaniment or be a cappella. Maximum voice parts SSAATB.
- A work appropriate for a Remembrance Day performance. Please include in your written proposal your explanation for why your work is an appropriate work for this event.
- Composed using a text that is 1) original (written by the composer), 2) in the public domain, or 3) under copyright, but with written permission of the copyright holder.
The winner of the competition will receive:
- A cash prize of $2000 issued after the premiere performance.
- A premiere of the work in November 2021, either virtual or in-person as allowed.
- Access to an archival recording of the premiere.
VBC Music Director’s Leslie Dala and a jury of peers will review all applications. Submissions will be evaluated anonymously.
All submissions should be received no later than July 5th, 2021. The winning composer will be notified no later than July 15th, 2021. If the winning composer chooses to accept and write a new work all parts and score are due by September 14th, 2021. If the winning composer wishes that the submitted work sample be performed in lieu of writing a new work, parts and score for that work will be due no later than September 14th, 2021. Previous winners are ineligible to apply.
Any questions and support materials should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application form can be found at – https://forms.gle/TDK9aV9yKcekPeW18