The VBC is pleased to announce the launch of our third annual Choral Composition Competition. The competition was established by a generous private donor to encourage the creation of new choral music by Canadian composers and to honour the organization’s history of engaging local and national composers.
The competition is open to composers who are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or landed immigrant. If a citizen, you are not required to be currently residing in Canada. There is no age restriction.
The winner of the competition will receive:
• A cash prize of $2000 issued after the premiere performance.
• A virtual premiere of the work in December 2020.
• Access to an archival recording of the premiere.
Works to be submitted must be unpublished, but do not need to have been composed specifically for this competition. Works must not have been previously performed in a similar instrumentation or voicing. You may only submit one composition per year for consideration. Previous winners are ineligible to apply.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions we are anticipating not being able to present live performances until 2021. As a result, the winning piece of the 2020 competition will be premiered in a virtual choir project in December 2020. The jury will take into consideration those composers who make creative use of this new medium and keep in mind the restrictions imposed by virtual rehearsals and recording procedures.
Submissions must be:
• Target length is 4-6 minutes.
• A sacred or secular work for the winter holiday season. Arrangements of already-composed Christmas carols are not eligible. However, text from already composed carols may be used in a newly composed format. The composed work should be accessible to a wide range of listeners.
• Scored for SATB, either a cappella or accompanied by piano. Occasional divisi is allowed.
• Composed using a text that is 1) original (written by the composer), 2) in the public domain, or 3) under copyright, but with written permission of the copyright holder.
• Submissions must be written in a computer engraved format such as a PDF and written in open score with a piano reduction underneath. The successful applicant will be asked to provide appropriate instrumental parts if necessary. Please note that e-mail attachments must not exceed 8MB in size. If your manuscript is larger it must be sent via dropbox or other file transfer method.
• Do not include any identifying marks on the manuscript. Please add a cover page with title, composer and text source details.
VBC Music Director’s Leslie Dala and a jury of peers will review all applications. Submissions will be evaluated anonymously. One winner will be contacted by early October with a public announcement being made by November 1st, 2020.
The deadline for submission of all materials is August 31st, 2020. To apply, click below to complete the application form. If you have any questions, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.